A BRIEF HISTORY OF BUFFALO ROWING CLUB
Competitive Rowing in East London started with East London & Buffalo Rowing Clubs. Buffalo Rowing Club was founded in 1875 & it is one of the Oldest Rowing Clubs in South Africa. Alfred’s in Cape Town formed in 1864, being the oldest.
Buffalo was the pre-
The Second World War put a stop to rowing in East London but rowing restarted after the War. East London developed and in 1973 a new Bridge was proposed to be built directly over the ELBA Club House on the East Bank of the Buffalo River. The replacement was built in its current location on the West Bank in Henderson Road with several Buffalos contributing toward the new ELBA building.
Although Buffalo active rowing took a break in the late 1970s, the spirit of George Phoebe, founder of rowing, boat builder & coach of several Buffalo Crews that won the Grand remained (he is still known as the old Man of the Buffalo River with his picture taking pride of place in the ELBA club house). Buffalo Rowing Club continued with their generosity and when Grey Rowing’s Boat house burnt down they donated a boat in 1982 & in the 1990s they paid for the building of the deck & braai area at the ELBA club house.
Buffalo Rowing Club restarted active rowing again in 2015 & with an amazing repeat in history one of the re-
Buffalo Rowing Club have reinforced their belief in growing the sport of Rowing and helping start other institutions rowing. This year they have been instrumental in the formation of the OR Thambo Rowing Club in Mthatha and locally they have introduced several formerly non-